«Construction of New Railway Bridges at Gallikos River, Ch. 9 + 184 of the railway line, in the section between Plateos Railway Station and T.X.1 Thessaloniki»
The project involves the construction of two (2) new railway bridges (for the double railway line), in km. 9+184 of the Thessaloniki – Florina Line, which will replace the existing metal old bridges.
The correspondence of the above km.9+184 with the kilometer of Athens – Thessaloniki railway line is km. 506+895,41.
More specifically, the project includes:
• The dismantling of the two independent branches of the existing bridge and their pedestals in two phases
• Works for the improvement of the soil, in order to prevent its liquefaction during the excavations for the foundation and the necessary supports
- Works for diversion of the Gallikos riverbed
• The construction of the two (2) new concrete bridges, for the double railway of a total length: 175,50 + 175,50 = 351,00 m
• The construction of the superstructure on the new railway bridges, with a total length of 700 m as in addition to the two bridges length the necessary transitional sections are included
- The hydraulic works for the diversion and landscaping of the Gallikos riverbed, all over the project area, especially in the bridges foundation area
• The dismantling of the existing electrification, ETCS and GSMR systems along the two existing metal old bridges
• The installation of the electrification, ETCS and GSMR systems along the two new concrete bridges after their construction
• The necessary works in order to secure the operation of the existing electrified railway line (in a single branch during the phase of construction works) during all phases of the project construction, i.e. the electrification system, the signaling and telecommunication systems)
• The works for the local side road network restoration
Project Stage: Under construction.
The project is funded by the OPERATIONAL PROGRAM “TRANSPORT INFRASTRUCTURES, ENVIRONMENT AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT” 2014 – 2020
Project Cost: 4.42 mil. €
Start of construction: 31/05/2019
Estimated completion: 15/12/2021
The new bridge comprises 13 parts with new pillars between the existing ones. The total length of the bridge is 175,50 m and is divided into three sections (with expansion joints).
Thus two carriers of four parts and one carrier of five parts occur.
Each carrier is monolithically connected to the middle pillars on the middle supports and is supported by bearings on the end supports.
The deck of the bridges consists of continuous slab of reinforced concrete with openings (12,75 m. – 14,00 m.). The cross section of the superstructure consists of a slab with circular gaps of 0,50 m, in order to limit the dead load of the construction.